Fairy Tales do not inform children that there is such things as monsters. Children already know that there are monsters. What Fairy Tales really teach is that monsters can be transformed or destroyed.
- Paraphrasing G.K. Chesterton
Valor is a comic anthology of re-imaged fairy tales showcasing the talent of some of the top creators in the field of digital comics. The purpose of this book is to pay homage to the strength, resourcefulness, and cunning of female heroines in fairy tales.
The anthology will be young adult friendly and in color, each story being 4 to 15 pages long.
The anthology is being edited by Isabelle Melançon and Megan Lavey-Heaton, co-creators of Namesake, who are also contributing to the anthology.
Other creators involved in Valor include:
- Angelica Maria Lopez - Creator of Solstoria
- Annie Stoll and Tim Ferrera - Creators of Ode
- Elena “Yamino” Barbarich and Ash “Summerlightning” Barnes - Creators of Sister Claire
- Emily Hann - Composer of backgrounds
- Jayd Ait-Kaci and Alex Singer - The masterminds of Little Foolery (Sfeer Theory, Small Town Witch)
- Joanne Webster - Forger of Words
- Justin Lanjil - Master of colors
- Kadi Fedoruk - Creator of Blindsprings
- Laura Neubert - Creator of the Light-Eaters
- Meaghan Carter - Creator of Take Off
- Megan Kearney - Creator of Beauty and The Beast
- Michelle Krivanek - Creator of Alice and the Nightmare
- Morgan Beem - Ink Wielder Extraordinaire
- Nicole Chartrand - Creator of Fey Winds
- Ran and Cory Brown - Creators of The End
- Sara Goetter - Creator of the short comic Haircut
Stories that they’re working on include retellings of classics such as Prunella, Little Red Riding Hood, The Wild Swans, and the Little Mermaid. There’s also brand new fairy tales such as the tale of a badass mom, who’s also a knight and a brave hare seeking the blessing of the seasons. We’ll be letting you take a look at the stories throughout the project!
In addition to the 17 stories in the book, some of our crafty writers are also turning out illustrated prose stories that will be available as DRM-free ebooks alongside the print volume! These include retellings of Finette Cendron and Goldilocks.
You can follow the development of these stories through the Valor Anthology Tumblr page.